Friday, April 30, 2010

Pepitas: Poor Man's Pignolis



I discovered roasted, unsalted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) one day while perusing the packaged dried fruit and nut section at Fairway in Red Hook (aka: mecca, for all things you need) and was trying to locate a bag of pine nuts, because they're fantastic in salads and pasta dishes and I love them. Why, oh why, must they be $20 a pound? I think they're cheaper at Trader Joe's but I don't have time anymore the schlep from store to store, run errands after work searching for good deals. Instead, I have become open-minded and resourceful...creative even. Their pepitas were 1/4 the price so I grabbed a 16 oz container and added it to my cart. I was very, VERY pleasantly surprised to learn that they were as tasty as pine nuts, but they add a crunch to salads that pine nuts lack. One of my fave salads involves baby arugula, shaved parmesan, tomatoes in some form and a dressing made with olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, a dash of pumpkinseed oil (if I happen to have it) and roasted, unsalted pepitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment